- Develop creative thinking abilities
- Increase student ability to apply known principles and facts to “hands-on” situations.
- Improve communication skills.
- Learn how to use a creative problem solving process.
- Develop and utilize skills of all team members.
- Develop and use local resources.
- Develop and use research skills.
- Exercise and use the higher order thinking and critical thinking skills, especially analysis, synthesis and evaluation.
- Have fun while learning all of these very important skills.
Rationale for Participation:
- Participation in Odyssey of the Mind provides the student with both cognitive and affective experiences.
- Students are challenged to develop their critical thinking potential and their divergent thinking skills through creative problem solving.
- They are encouraged to plan, organize and set long-range goals.
- During this process, they gain sensitivity and experience with group dynamics.
- Learning to take risks allows the students to become more self-confident and independent thus making successes and defeats easier to place in perspective.
- Experiences with OotM problems prepare students to solve real-life problems using specific skills and behaviors.